This recipe I received as a holiday gift from a wonderful neighbor back in New Mexico. All the dry ingredients were nicely layered in a tightly sealed mason jar with the recipe glued to the outside. The recipe incorporates ingredients from all my favorite cookie recipes. Substitutions can easily be made, for example sometimes I like to include nuts (macadamia, almonds or pecans) in place of the coconut, and adjust the type of chocolate according to which type of nut I use. Or, if I am making these for my friends, I leave out the coconut and nuts entirely (for people with allergies) and use more raisins and chocolate. I have continued the tradition of giving recipes/baking goods for gifts! Have fun with the recipe and the gift giving!
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup sugar
1 cup quick-cooking oats
½ teaspoon baking powder
⅛ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup raisins
½ cup shredded coconut
½ cup M&M candies or chocolate chips (white, milk or dark chocolate) 1 egg 6 tablespoons butter; softened
1. Preheat oven to 375̊.
2. Mix all dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
3. Beat egg and softened butter on low speed or by hand to blend.
4. Add egg/butter mixture to dry ingredients, mix until combined. Note: Sometimes I add a couple tablespoons water if it needs more liquid
5. Drop heaping teaspoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
6. Remove from oven and let cookies cool on cookie sheet before transferring to a cooling rack. Makes approximately one and a half dozen
Instructions for the Jar:
1. In a 1-quart jar; pack brown sugar in the bottom and make as level as possible. Pour white sugar over and level.
2. Pour outs over sugar and level.
3. In small bowl combine flour, baking powder and backing soda. Mix well and gently spoon flour mixture over the oats. Level carefully and tamp down.
4. Sprinkle raisins over the flour mixture, level and smooth the edges to make them even. Sprinkle on top and tamp down.
5. Sprinkle coconut over raisins and press down.
6. Sprinkle candies or chocolate chips on top, press down and place lid on jar.
7. Print or write up recipe and include with the jar! Your gift is complete!