This is not your average tortilla soup. Most recipes are chicken broth based and do not have any tomatoes at all. I enjoy this easy and cheap version just as much, mainly because it was our family’s version of tomato soup. Instead of chicken soup when we were sick, we either ate this or Green Chili Stew (coming soon to the Serving Wench). Spicy food is delicious and can clear the sinuses! I love putting all the additions on top! Every person can design their own soup and taste profile. Enjoy!
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Level:||Serves:|
|10 min.||35 min.||Easy||8|
1 large yellow onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1 medium can sliced black olives
1 46 oz. bottle of Spicy Hot V8
2 ½ cups chicken broth
3 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
¼ lb. thick cut bacon
6 green onions
Corn tortilla chips
- Heat up large pot with 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Sauté chopped onion until soft and translucent, about 5 min. Stir in minced garlic and cook for about 1 min. (Remember to not let garlic burn)
- Add V8, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Let come to a boil then immediately turn down to a low simmer.
- While the soup cooks for 15 min, cook bacon to a crisp and chop up the avocado, green onions and cilantro. Put these ingredients aside for toppings. Once bacon is cool, chop and set aside.
- A few minutes before serving add olives to the soup. You are done cooking!
- In your serving bowl lightly crush a small handful of tortilla chips and top with cheese then add the soup. Top with your choice of all the additions (don’t forget the sour cream).