After watching Despicable Me 2 (watch it!), I wanted, ever so badly, to have minions. I mean, who wouldn’t really? If I had minions to help me in all aspects of my life, then I could sit around watching episodes of Archer and plot what dishes I could conjure up. Well…I might do that already. Okay honestly, I probably would be playing with my minions and showing them off at work. So, in essence it would probably be counterproductive. I still feel like Tony Stark in Iron Man 2 telling Pepper Potts, “I want one.”
With life’s many demands, I finally got to have a weekend off and get in the kitchen. To those of you that have time to be in the kitchen everyday or at least three times a week, I envy you wholeheartedly. This dish is quick and truly simple to make. Which is helpful in my crazy schedule. This recipe calls for pork belly, but bacon will do. I love spiciness! So you can make this as spicy as you want by adding more kimchi juice as you prefer.
I’ll be honest, I don’t much about the history of kimchi but I can describe it in three words: smelly, delicious and can go with anything! Okay that last part wasn’t a word ,than let’s say a phrase, but seriously I could put kimchi on ANYTHING? Kimchi on burger, kimchi on sandwiches, kimchi on pizza… So, I’m sure you get the idea. I heart kimchi. If you haven’t tried it, please do. It may not be for everyone, but you might be just missing out.
*You can make this dish vegetarian by leaving out the meat altogether*
|Prep Time:||Cooking Time:||Difficulty:||Servings:|
|10 min||20 min||Easy||4|
- 6-8 oz. pork belly or bacon
- 1-2 C chopped kimchi
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 TBS red pepper paste (gochuchang)
- 1 white onion
- 2 green onion stalks
- 2 TBS minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Half a package of tofu
- ¼ C kimchi juice
- 2 C water
- Slice up the onions, cut the green onions in one-inch length and cut up tofu in squares.
- In a pot, add in pork belly, garlic and white onions on medium-high heat. Cook until pork is halfway done.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients (except the green onions and salt and pepper). Bring to a boil on high (For approximately 10 min).
- Reduce heat to medium heat; add in green onions and salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook for at least five to ten minutes.
- Serve with a side of rice or over rice.