Full of drama, Mad Men on the AMC network, has become a world-wide phenomenon. A period drama set in 1960’s Manhattan, NY, specifically on Madison Ave.
With the show’s impending premiere, there will be many watch parties across the globe. This is a staple drink that should be served if you want a true Mad Men or 60’s themed party. To anyone who are cocktail connoisseurs or know the history of this particular cocktail, knows that the original Old Fashioned did not incorporate fruit. Somewhere down the road, fruit was introduced (rumor is fruit was added to sweeten or add flavor during the Depression). Below I have included the traditional recipe and the one you’ll find Don Draper drinking.
Classic Old Fashioned
- Angostura bitters
- American Rye Whiskey
- lemon or orange peel (as garnish)
- In a small rocks glass, add ½-1 tsp of sugar, add three dashes of bitters and then add a splash of water.
- Muddle until it becomes a syrup.
- Add 2 oz. of rye whiskey
- Add ice and stir.
- Garnish and enjoy.
Don Draper’s Old Fashioned (Modern recipe, most likely served at bars)
- Angostura Bitters
- orange wedges
- Maraschino cherries
- In a small rocks glass, add an orange wedge, a cherry, a dash of bitters, splash of water and a tsp of sugar.
- Muddle until it becomes a thick syrup.
- Add 2 oz. of Bourbon, ice and stir.
- Garnish as desired and enjoy (with a cigar, if you want to get fancy and all *tailored suit required for full effect*)